Q: Radiator is cold even after a motorway run,and can smell the oil getting hot.

As above

Hi there - based on the symptoms, this could either be a failed water pump (unlikely - even with no flow, conduction of heat would warm the radiator slowly), or, most likely a failed thermostat. I would also expect that the coolant temp gauge would be off the gauge on the HOT side after even a couple of minutes. As you indicate, the oil is very hot, so clearly the engine is! The thermostat on this engine is electronically controlled, and should have indicated a fault that would warn and set the Check Engine light when too hot. Check the coolant level first - a "no coolant" situation will deceptively register as cool - hot liquid makes the temp sensor work. Hot steam does not unfortunately. Check the thermostat, water pump, and for any possible coolant flow issue to the radiator (pinched hose). I would recommend a thorough inspection for overheating performed by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.

3. Radiator is cold even after a motorway run,and can smell the oil getting hot.