Q: Why is my 2004 Honda Pilot not starting

My car has intermittently not started immediately after I put the key in. The immobilizer indicator would flash and once it stopped flashing I would be able to start my car. These incidences only occurred every couple of months and once each time. Now my car will not start no matter how long the key is left in the ignition and the immobilizer indicator only flashes 4 times after I remove the ke All of the electrical components are working and the lights are not dim, which rules out battery for me. The engine is not cranking at all making me believe it's either the starter or the immobilizer causing the issue. Any other issues that could cause this?

Hello. If you are getting the green light when this occurs then it is a theft system issue. I usually start by trying a second key if you have one. An old key can cause this. If there is not a spare key or if it is not a key issue then it is either a receiver or a module issue. When the receiver fails it has a hard time picking up the key signal. From what you are explaining it sounds like the receiver is the issue. Most of the time I will install a scan tool to monitor if the module is seeing the key being inserted. If it is and the light remains on then the module may need to be programmed or it may be failing. If not then it is the receiver. A theft system issue on this vehicle should be taken care of at the dealer.

3. Why is my 2004 Honda Pilot not starting