Q: Accelerating after 4th/5th gear, RPMs up, but no faster

Last night, while driving on the highway, when I would shift into 4th or 5th gear and then try to accelerate, the RPMs shot up but my car did not go much faster. It would rise to 6-7k and then my car would pick up and go. Then the RPMs would go back down to the normal levels. My car has 132,000 miles and I purchased it certified pre-owned. When I got my emissions and inspection test, they told me that my clutch was beginning to slip, but that I have 8-12 months before having to replace it. They also said I should be putting high-quality gas into my vehicle, which I did last night before getting on the highway. I don't want to have to go back to the auto repair shop, so I’m trying to figure this out myself. What is your advice for a fix that I can do myself?

A: Yes, your clutch is slipping and needs to b...

Yes, your clutch is slipping and needs to be replaced.

As for the high quality fuel, top tier gasoline does have additives designed to keep your engine and fuel system clean. Will you ever notice a difference while driving? No. But will it prolong the life of your car? The jury is out on that one.

I put whatever gasoline is convenient in my Ford F-150, which now has 230,000 miles on it. You definitely do need your clutch replaced, though.

If you need to have this done, consider YourMechanic, as a certified technician from YourMechanic can come to your car's location to verify the cause of the slipping issue and follow through with the correct repair.