Q: Power steering whines after going highway speeds

After traveling at highway speeds, when I pull off to get gas, eat, or something else, the power steering whines. The noise goes away after about five minutes of letting the van idle. Also, when the engine is cold on a cold day, the transmission has to warm up. Typically, in the summertime, this is only for a few minutes, but in the winter it can take up to 15 minutes or more. Also, the first time you put it into drive, it pops, and you can hear the linkage as it lunges forward. No codes come up on the reader, and once the van's thermostat opens up, it runs fine. As a side note, I did replace the transmission's temperature control sensor.

I have encountered this issue time and time again; it can be a bit of a challenge to resolve. Chrysler has a power steering cooler update which could resolve your issue. However, you could have an issue with the power steering pump, or steering rack, and the noise you described is likely caused by air in the system. I recommend having a mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, come to your vehicle’s location to inspect your power steering system for leaks, apply the power steering cooler update, and replace the power steering pump, if necessary.

3. Power steering whines after going highway speeds