Car is smoking, knocking and idling by itself. overheatin...

Q: Car is smoking, knocking and idling by itself.

asked by on May 11, 2017

The car acted as if it didn't want to go. I checked and there was no fluid. So I put water in as the car was on and still running. 5 miles later smoke came from engine and the car shut off. I waited 15 minutes and as I was driving, it sounded like a diesel engine. And now it keeps shutting off and overheating even though there is fluid in the resuvoir.

Hello, thank you for writing in. The vehicle is overheating, and the other symptoms are related to it. If it has overheated passed a certain point, there may have been major damage done to the engine. At this point, the extent of the damage done needs to be evaluated before any expensive repairs are made. Due to the fact the engine was low on coolant in the first place, there is likely a leak somewhere, which may have started the entire problem. If you have not noticed anything dripping, the leak may be at the head gasket. This would also explain why the engine sounded strange. Coolant and water passing through the head gasket makes its way into the cylinder and causes a misfire, and causes the engine to run poorly. The condition of the engine, the extent of the leak, and if any other damage was done needs to be inspected before repairs are made. For more help with this process, contact our service department to schedule an appointment.