Popping/clunking sound from right passenger side front. ...

Q: Popping/clunking sound from right passenger side front. Front suspension was inspected over the weekend

asked by on July 03, 2017

Front pop/clunk coming from passenger side/front right wheel area. Had mechanic check the front suspension over the weekend (I assumed it was sway bar links or bushings, etc.). Mechanic didn't find any problems and refilled the sway bar link grease. Soon as I left the mechanic the popping has now been more noticeable/prevalent. Went and bought some jack stands today to see if there was any play left to right or top to bottom on the wheel and I couldn't notice anything substantial. Made sure lug nuts were tight.

This sound happens when going over bumps, doesn't happen when turning. Sound becomes unnoticeable on the highway.

Tried bouncing the front end to replicate the sound, but I couldn't hear anything.

Front lower ball joints were replaced 6 months ago.

Hi there. In most cases, when you have a problem like this, it’s caused by a loose or damaged strut, strut mount, stabilizer bar bushings or CV joints being worn out. The stabilizer bar bushing specifically is usually the part that would cause the ’clunk’ sound when hitting a bump. You might want to have a professional mechanic come to your location to complete a car is making a noise inspection. This will permit them to test drive the vehicle with you to attempt to replicate the symptom. Quite often, this is the best way to diagnose a problem like this.