Q: Poor mpg and a rough idle

ok so i just bought this truck and that ran perfect other the it was only getting 13 MPG highway when a got it and i decided to do a tune up on it because i had no idea when the last one had been done. so i changed the oil and cleaned the air filter as well as change the spark plugs. originally i had gapped the plugs at .56 because that is what the manual said it should be and boy it sure ran like crap so i since gapped them at .46ish because that is what was told to me by the auto parts store. and since then i have experienced a really rough idle as if the MAF was going out but i didnt know if it was something that i messed up so i havent changed it. i tried changing the pcv valve which was recommended to me by a friend. that gave me an extra 2 MPG but it is still idleing way rough. the error code that it keeps throwing at me is that it is running too lean. what would you recommend me doing first?

Hi There, There are a number of things that can cause poor fuel mileage and a rough idle. A faulty camshaft position sensor is one of them. The camshaft position sensor is a magnetic sensor that monitors camshaft speed to regulate ignition timing and fuel injection timing. It gathers and sends information about the car’s camshaft speed (and as a result the position of each piston) to the car’s electronic control module. This information is received by the computer, which then uses this data to further calculate the time of ignition and the timing of fuel injection required by the engine. When this is not working properly, you may experience a drop in power, poor idling, poor fuel mileage and problems starting the vehicle.

A clogged or dirty EGR valve may also cause poor fuel mileage. The EGR valve is a small component designed to allow the flow of exhaust gases into the intake manifold in controlled amounts. As such, it’s a simple valve that closes and opens as needed. The EGR valve has one single job to do, regardless of the system configuration, type of control and number of sensors: that is, to either open and direct exhaust gases into the combustion chamber, or to close and keep them from entering. Whenever you start the engine, the valve comes alive and waits in a closed position, blocking the flow of exhaust gases. Once the engine reaches operating temperature and speed increases, the valve, either through vacuum or electronic control will gradually open, allowing burned exhaust gases to enter and combine with the air-fuel mixture inside the combustion chamber. When the EGR valve is clogged or dirty, as they are prone to, it may not function properly causing the engine idle rough, stall at idle speeds, cause the car to get poor fuel mileage, or emit a strong smell of fuel due to excess hydrocarbons which also results in failing emissions tests. Should you need further assistance with diagnosing your problem, I would recommend having a professional from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose your truck.

3. Poor mpg and a rough idle