Q: Parking brake dash light doesn't come on when using the actual parking brake so I failed inspection. I don't know if it's the bulb or parking brake.

The parking brake instrument panel light doesn't come on when applied pressure to the actual emergency parking brake. the light doesnt come on? I have fail my inspection because. I replace the bulb in the dash and it come on only when my car is cranked and then goes off, but when I push the parking brake nothing just blake. I want to know is there another bulb or is it just the parking brake switch? Can you help me please solve this mystery?

Hello. The dash light not illuminating when the brake is applied is very likely a wiring issue. If you are knowledgeable with a voltmeter, you can pull a wiring diagram of the circuit and trace the issue. This is done by taking one component at a time and finding where the voltage drops. This wire or component will be the cause of the signal not reaching the bulb. Voltage will start at the fuse box where a power supply will be sent to the emergency brake pedal switch.

When the brake is applied, the power should pass through the switch and onto the bulb illuminating it. Start by checking the parking brake switch for available voltage. Then apply the brake and check for voltage after the switch. Continue down the circuit until you find where the voltage should be, and isn’t strong enough.

If you’d like some help with this, consider having a certified technician, like one from YourMechanic, diagnose the electrical issue and help you fix it accordingly.

3. Parking brake dash light doesn't come on when using the actual parking brake so I failed inspection. I don't know if it's the bulb or parking brake.