Q: Had a computer check done and the scanner said to replace the Oxygen sensor.

when driving how do i know oxygen sensor needs to be changed.had a computer check done .and it was told sensor was bad.when driving how do i know sensor is bad?

Hi there. The oxygen (O2) sensors have two functions, read the emissions and preheat the tip for measuring. Usually the tip will no longer preheat up causing the sensors to not register the emissions. Other times the O2 sensors tend to get full of soot and not register the emissions. The only thing that you will notice when this happens is the vehicle will being to run rich and go through fuel faster than normal. Also, the tail pipe emissions will begin to stink and smell like unburnt fuel. The engine will begin to have hard starts and may not shut off properly. If you need further assistance with the O2 sensors, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.

3. Had a computer check done and the scanner said to replace the Oxygen sensor.