Q: Overheating issue brought into dealer want to take apart engine to check head gasket

Had an overheating issue with my car so I bought a new thermostat, added coolent and bleed the system for air. Still overheating. Brought it to the dealer and after having it for a few days they’re saying I overflowed the cooling system and that it’s no longer overheating. They want to take apart my engine to see if it’s a head gasket. I asked if they ran a combustion test kit and they said they did and it was fine. Externally they don’t see an issue that’s why they want to take it apart. Don’t want to pay for 7 hours of labor if it’s not the issue???!

If the dealer is stating to you that the engine is no longer overheating, and that there are no combustion gases in the coolant, it is not clear what the problem is that they are trying to resolve by taking apart the engine. They would have to show you very specific evidence of a malfunction to justify the work. Head gaskets are not replaced as "a last report" or during any diagnostic "process of elimination". Furthermore, your engine has two cylinder heads and so there are two head gaskets. Were they proposing to remove both? If you are having a problem with the engine, and you want a specific diagnosis, that is an explanation of where the fault lies (if there is even any fault), and what the exact required repairs are, please use the request service link and the responding certified mechanic will get your situation addressed and resolved without further delay. If you have any further questions, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

3. Overheating issue brought into dealer want to take apart engine to check head gasket