Q: One strut mount we up with a dust cap on, one without. How big of a deal is it?

A mechanic installed new front struts and mounts. When replacing the mounts/bearings he installed the dust cap and shim on one, but not on the other. How big of a deal is it? What does it mean for geometry, longevity etc? (he said it was fine).

Here's the old mounts with one cap that didn't go on the new ones: https://cl.ly/1L3o471Z1z1m

Thanks.

Hi Dan. Thanks for the question today. In regards to geometry, handling and "whether it’s fine", a dust cap should not have that great of an impact. I’m curious as to why the mechanic did this - as to me, that’s just lazy and not attention to detail. Make sure to have the suspension aligned ASAP by a professional alignment shop if you already haven’t.