Q: On interstate, gear shift broke and stuck in first gear

While accelerating on the interstate, I lost control of the car and did not have any gear shifting ability. It was stuck in first gear and fortunately I got off the interstate safely. I took the car to the mechanic where I learned that it had been the gear shift to the transmission that had broken and caused the failure. He said this was common in cars like mine. I have owned many manual transmissions previously, but have never had a gear shift to break before. It is not only dangerous, but frightening! What caused this to happen and how can I prevent it from ever happening again?

There are many designs for the shifter system in vehicles, and unfortunately there is a known weak point in vehicles similar to your year and model of Porsche. Common concerns often lead to a recall where the part is upgraded or the performance market sees the flaw and make a new part to replace the weak component with. There may be more expensive parts. I recommend getting in touch with the dealer about this to see if the manufacturer can take care of this common problem.

3. On interstate, gear shift broke and stuck in first gear