Q: On interstate, gear shift broke and stuck in first gear

While accelerating on the interstate, I lost control of the car and did not have any gear shifting ability. It was stuck in first gear and fortunately I got off the interstate safely. I took the car to the mechanic where I learned that it had been the gear shift to the transmission that had broken and caused the failure. He said this was common in cars like mine. I have owned many manual transmissions previously, but have never had a gear shift to break before. It is not only dangerous, but frightening! What caused this to happen and how can I prevent it from ever happening again?

There are many designs for the shifter system in vehicles, and unfortunately there is a known weak point in vehicles similar to your year and model of Porsche. Common concerns often lead to a recall where the part is upgraded or the performance market sees the flaw and make a new part to replace the weak component with. There may be more expensive parts. I recommend getting in touch with the dealer about this to see if the manufacturer can take care of this common problem.