Q: Okay, I have a '99 Dodge Ram 2500 w/8.0 V10. The timing chain needs to be replaced. Should I replace the gears also?

Ok, I have a '99 Dodge Ram 2500 w/8.0 V10. The timing chain needs to be replaced. Should I replace the gears also? Can I install a chain tensioner that came on later models?

Hi there. When changing out the timing chains, it is recommended to replace all the sprockets. The sprockets are worn into the old chains and can cause the new chains to prematurely fail or stretch. You can use a tensioner from an older model as long as the tensioner matches the one that is on your engine. If you need further assistance with your timing chain replacement, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.

• Okay, I have a '99 Dodge Ram 2500 w/8.0 V10. The timing chain needs to be replaced. Should I replace the gears also?