Q: oil pump drive

asked by on September 27, 2016

Recently I changed my oil and filter...but I didn't have time to finish so I just left it like that with no filter and oil and just let it drain till about 8hours later when I returned to re-install a new filter that I filled with oil first before installing and plugging the oil pan and filling it up but I think I messed up my oil pump by waiting too long to finish this job as now when i start my car there is some tapping in the upper engine area as if you there is not enough oil reaching the upper engine area....if I were to remove the oil pump drive and attach an extension to the shaft and turn with a drill to prime the pump do you think this will restore the oil pumps function as a last resort before replacing the pump?

Noise from engine or exhaust Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hello there, thank you for asking about your 1993 Pontiac Grand Prix. The pump is self priming. If the red Oil Pressure Warning Light is not on, there is sufficient oil pressure. When engines are assembled, the oiling system is primed under pressure using an external pressurized vessel, but only to prevent dry starts (bearing damage), not to "fill" the pump with oil. If you suspect low oil pressure, the initial test is to remove the sending unit and install a pressure gauge. Check pressure throughout engine RPM operating range. For your vehicle, oil pressure should be roughly in the range of 15 PSI to 40 PSI but the FSM should be checked for the exact range. If the warning light is not on (be sure to check the warning light itself to be sure it functions) unfortunately the present noise you are hearing is merely coincidental to the oil change. If you would like help, YourMechanic can diagnose the engine noise for you and let you know the likely source and possible repair options. Best of luck to you.