Q: Oil from transfer case vent

I was checking my truck and found oil on the underside of the truck new the transfer case. It looks like it was coming out of the transfer case vent. I seemed to have happened when I was towing our travel trailer. This has never happened before. Any idea what might be causing that?

Hi, thanks for writing in. A leak in the transfer case can cause a lot of serious issues. Tracing it can be done several ways. The most efficient way for tracking an honest leak is typically a dye test. This involves adding florescent dye to the transfer case, and finding where is seeps through with a fluorescent light. This is the easiest way to find all of the leaks (if there are more than one). Other common sources for minor leaks are the drain plug and inspection port. These simply screw in and can become loose. These also may have a washer or gasket that helps them seal. This should be inspected as well. Getting the leak fixed should be done immediately. Getting the transfer case replaced if it is run dry, can be a very expensive repair. Here at YourMechanic, we can have a technician come to your home or office to inspect and diagnose this issue for you, and make or suggest the necessary repairs.