Can a glow plug that's not walking cause a diesel knockin...

Q: Can a glow plug that's not walking cause a diesel knocking

asked by on November 03, 2016

One of my glow plugs is not working and I'm getting loud Diesel knocking all the time could the glow plug be what causes diesel knock if you could help me more appreciated

Hi. It depends if the knock goes away after the engine warms up. If it does, then yes, this is contributing to the knock. What is happening is that the fuel and chamber is not hot enough for combustion and there is not enough compression built up in the engine yet. It is always best to test all glow plugs and replace if needed.

If the knock is not going away that is a good indication that the injector has failed. If you need help verifying the fault, a certified technician from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to diagnose the knocking issue and move forward with repairs.