Q: Oil consumption

I am using approximately 1 quart of oil every 5000 miles. While I hear that it is within acceptable ranges are also hear that no one else has the problem with using all with the 5.7 motor. Should I be concerned? Is there any diagnostics I should do? I use 5W 20 synthetic. My vehicle has 60,000 miles on it and I've only noticed that use in the past 10000miles having said that, I may not have watched it extremely close before but I know it never ran low.

Hi there. I understand your concern. You can perform an oil consumption test similar to what I have performed while employed at the Toyota/Lexus dealerships. Perform a fresh oil change. Clean everything. Note the level on the oil dipstick. Zip tie the dipstick so that it cannot be removed until the 5000 mile mark. Mark the drain plug and oil filter housing with paint to make sure there is no tampering. Drive the vehicle as normal and recheck at the mileage mark. If the one quart is within the tolerances, then there really isn’t anything at the moment you can do other than monitoring the oil level. Your Mechanic has several available technicians that can assist you with a low oil level inspection that may help uncover possible underlying issues.