Q: Truck won't shift out of first gear - 1979 Chevrolet C10

I installed a used motor into my pickup and my automatic transmission won’t shift out of first gear. I took a look at the kick down linkage and the vacuum lines, and they seem OK. Do you have any ideas or suggestions, solutions?

A: Hello. There are several possibilities here...

Hello. There are several possibilities here: the vacuum modulator valve, the governor in the transmission, or possibly incorrect fluid level in the transmission. If you would like to have this checked, a qualified professional from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to inspect the shifting issue and advise on repairs.