Q: Rear brakes squeak in new 2016 car, but dealership can't hear it

My car, which is brand new, has a squeak in the rear brake and it has happened many times. I have been to the dealer and he told me that they can’t do anything unless they can hear the squeaking. In researching, I saw that this has been a common problem with 2016 make/models and is in the Technical Service Bulletin because of similar complaints to mine. I’ve been to the dealership twice and now, a third time I have to go with a transmission problem (I’ll post about that in separate ticket). I don’t feel safe in my own car. The last trip to the dealer for the squeaking brake problem, my car was kept for a week. They did test drives, but never heard the squeaking sound. I explained that the squeaking is intermittent. Wouldn’t you know it… when I rode with the mechanic, the sound was not there! I only have 7,500 miles on my car. I shouldn’t have this much trouble. The TSB states that it is either rotors or premature rust on the rotors. However, my dealer won’t do a single thing until he hears the noise. I’m not imagining this squeak - I know I’m not! Can you give me your assessment and any solution that might fix this problem?

Sure, we’ll be happy to help you. I would probably check the brake hardware kit. The hardware kit consist of slide pins and the little shims that the brake pads fit in. There could be some corrosion build up either of those systems which will cause a squeak. Unfortunately, it seems like the newer vehicles like to rust quicker then the ones from say about 8 years ago. I’m not sure if it’s the metals they use that are different or what the cause may be, but I notice on newer vehicles that rust does accumulate much quicker.

I believe the best thing to do would be to have a technician come out and listen to the noise first hand to help pinpoint the noise. A technician that is outside of the dealership to make ensure that the dealership is not trying to cover anything up. I would suggest that you have a technician your are familiar with or have a highly rated company such as YourMechanic overlook and fix the vehicle.