Q: 1992 GMC somoma 4.3 keeps burning fuel pumps as soon as they are put in

asked by on March 17, 2018

Why does my truck keep burning up fuel pumps as soon as i put them in?

Electric Problems Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Fuel pumps rely on fuel for cooling and lubrication so be sure the tank is always kept at least one-quarter full of fuel. If there is a voltage drop on the supply circuit to the pump, that will cause high current to be drawn and that will overheat the pump and cause the pump motor to fail. The amount of voltage drop on the supply circuit should be carefully measured and, if in doubt, you can always re-wire the circuit to be sure. Voltage drop can occur, too, at terminal connections, in the fuse holder, at the relay, and in the short harness to the pump. All of that has to be carefully checked, or replaced as needed. Check to be sure the pump output (or return) is not obstructed. If you want the required diagnostic steps performed by a certified Mechanic, dispatched by YourMechanic right to your location, please request an electrical diagnostic. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.