Q: Odometer not working

The odometer is not working. I also have an oil leak.

A: The speedometer on your car is driven by a ...

The speedometer on your car is driven by a cable coming off the transmission. If the speedometer works, but the odometer does not, the problem is in the gauge itself. It can be replaced, or some specialty shops may repair them.

Oil can leak from a variety of places. On an older car, it could be anything. The only way to find it is to look, and track its source; you may have more than one leak.

I recommend having a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, come out to your car’s location to run a diagnostic inspection of your faulty speedometer, check out your oil leak, and suggest the best path to repair for both issues.