Q: Reduced power in reverse

My car has reduced power in reverse. Also, my power steering is not working.

Hi there. It sounds like you have a couple of different problems. If the vehicle does not have much power going into reverse, but the engine revs up fine then the transmission is slipping. Reverse is typically the first gear to fail on this vehicle. This may require that the transmission be rebuilt or replaced. As for the power steering, if it suddenly went out then you need to check the fluid level. If the level is low then there is a leak that needs to be repaired. If the fluid is full and there is no power assist then you more than likely have a bad pump. A mechanic would typically check the pressure coming from the pump and the flow of the fluid to determine what is going on. If you are not comfortable doing that, then you should enlist the help of a certified mechanic that can diagnose the transmission problem and the power steering issue for you.