Q: Clunking noise when accelerating, only in drive

asked by on November 22, 2016

I have a 1994 Toyota Camry with over 200,000 miles on it. For a while, the car has been violently shaking only when I accelerate. The shaking is not noticing until about 40 mph and grows in intensity as velocity increases. I have been led to believe this is a CV Clamp, which I have plans to fix. However, just last night my car suddenly started making a very loud clunking noise when I press the gas pedal in drive. It starts loudest when I first press the gas from a stop, and grows quieter and faster as velocity increases. It seems to be in time with the cadence of the wheels. Turning has no effect on it whatsoever, and it does not make the noise in reverse, park or neutral no matter what I do. The only thing at all that seems to make the noise or have any effect on it is pressing the gas pedal in drive, and the velocity of the car.

Axle / CV Shaft Assembly Replacement $203.04 - $1059.58 Get a Quote

As you may know, this is a common sign of a failing CV joint. A CV (Constant Velocity) joint is a shaft that connects the transmission to the wheels, essentially transferring the power from the drive train directly to the wheels. The CV joint is packed with a special grease and sealed tight with the rubber or plastic boot, that is held in place with two clamps. The most common problem with the CV joints is when the protective boot cracks or gets damaged. Once this happens, the grease comes out and moisture and dirt get in, causing the CV joint to wear faster and eventually fail due to lack of lubrication and corrosion. When the CV joint becomes damaged or worn, you may hear a clicking or popping sound coming from this area. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your CV joints.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $65/hr