Q: Key turns freely in the ignition but won't start the vehicle. Accessory power remains on unless the battery is disconnected.

asked by on October 25, 2016

Went to start vehicle, key turned normally, acc power came on but car wouldn't start. Turned key to off position and acc power stayed on. Key now turns freely in the ignition and the only way to turn off the power is to disconnect the battery. Installed a new ignition lock cylinder and problem persists. if it's not the ignition as I had thought, what could be the problem?

Ignition Switch Replacement $160.91 - $807.33 Get a Quote

The ignition switch or linkage to the switch is broken. The ignition switch needs to have the small linkage from the back side of the key lock cylinder to turn the switch to start and run the vehicle.

Have the ignition switch removed and inspect the linkage and switch to see if one or both switch and linkage needs replaced. If you need assistance with this, one of our mobile technicians would be happy to come to your location to diagnose the issue with your ignition and make the necessary repairs.

You will need a trained mechanic to work on the steering column of the vehicle with air bags due to the air bag system will need to be deactivated before service on the column switches.