Q: Not turning over spinning - 1980 Mercedes-Benz 240D

The starter on my car doesn’t always crank. But it happens on about every 22nd time. I can hear the starter spinning fast when this happens. Once in awhile it will crank the engine for a fraction of a second then spin the starter very fast. The car has a 3 month old genuine Mercedes Benz steering lock and ignition switch. But this problem started before I installed the new steering lock and ignition switch. The battery is 2 years old and checks out good. I noticed when the weather is cooler out and rainy the starter spinning happens more often. Could the problem be a bad solenoid, bad starter gear, bad starter or something else? Do you have and ideas? Thanks.

A: Hello. It sounds like your starter is going...

Hello. It sounds like your starter is going bad and needs to be replaced. The starter solenoid is made onto the starter and is most likely causing the problem you are having. At some point the starter is going to stop working completely so it needs to be replaced as soon as possible. If you need help with this repair, have a certified technician, like one from YourMechanic, assist with a starter replacement.

Recommended services
Get a Quote