Q: Not sure if hose or water pump is the issue. Bad leak spraying coolant on belts. Could it be a hose or water pump?

Coolant leaking as car is running. Cannot see where it is coming from. But it is a lot of fluid.

Water pumps have weep holes, through which coolant can leak if the pump is failing, but those weep holes are are relatively small. Consequently, the leak is more likely due to a fairly large hole, or tear, in a rubber hose. A large leak like you are describing will be very apparent on inspection. The mechanic will want to know, though, if the leak was preceded by any episodes of overheating as that would mean there could be an underlying issue. That is, inasmuch as overheating raises the pressure in the cooling system, if such occurred that could cause a blow out in weak components such as an old hose or a defective radiator pressure cap...just want to be sure it’s "just" a leak and not a leak accompanied by a defective thermostat, water pump, or plugged radiator, all of which could cause overheating. So, any recollection of the car’s operating temperature just prior to the leak will be helpful. If you desire that YourMechanic identify the cooling system leak and perform the required repairs, by all means please call in and schedule a mobile visit, right to your door.

• Not sure if hose or water pump is the issue. Bad leak spraying coolant on belts. Could it be a hose or water pump?