Q: What do I do if the starter turns slowly or the lights are dim?

asked by on December 14, 2015

What do I do if the starter turns slowly or the lights are dim?

When you turn the key in the ignition, the starter should engage quickly with no hesitation. Your interior lights should also turn on at their normal illumination. If the starter seems to be sluggish or the lights are dim, the problem is most likely the battery.

• Check the battery terminals. If they’re loose, they should be tightened.

• Check for corrosion on the battery terminals and posts. If there is corrosion, it must be cleaned completely to ensure a good connection.

Tip

If the starter doesn’t turn at all, chances are good that the battery is dead. It may also be that the battery terminals are disconnected, or that the steering lock system is malfunctioning.