2005 Dodge Dakota 6cyl 3.7 litre with auto trans. 110k mi...

Q: 2005 Dodge Dakota 6cyl 3.7 litre with auto trans. 110k miles. Transmission slipping when shifting. varies directly with the amount

asked by on February 16, 2017

Slips directly related to throttle position. if you step on the gas hard it downshifts and will get stuck there if you don't back off the accelerator. If you do it will upshift and be OK. Very slow acceleration is OK. The other way is by using the Tow / haul mode on the truck and putting it in 2nd gear on the column. I then accelerate to about 45mph and upshift to drive and it will stay in a high gear and stay in lower RPM. I then use Cruise control as long as it is on flat ground. If I need to accelerate up a hill I drop down to 45 and downshift to 2nd and repeat the process. I bought it used at 75k miles. Have not changed fluid since. It was done by the dealer. Fluid looks good and is at the "hot" level as specified when idiling. Repair shop wants $175 to change fluid and put in new filter. They want me to sign a waiver because they think that changing the flluid may actually make the problem worse. It has happened to them. Any suggestions

Unless the fluid is obviously contaminated, and thus there is a possibility of a blocked transmission filter, I wouldn’t start the diagnostic with a fluid/filter change. Eventually, you should change the fluid and the filter but more likely causes of the shift difficulty should be looked at first. I would take a look at the throttle position sensor (TPS). If the TPS is malfunctioning, you will get effects like the ones you are describing. Other causes of of failure to shift or delayed shifts can be due to transmission faults in shift solenoids, the valve body, or other hydraulically actuated and controlled components. If the cause of the shift difficulty is not found in the external controls, such as the TPS, pressure gauges are applied during a diagnostic to figure out which hydraulic circuits are malfunctioning. To perform that diagnostic and/or to deal with the TPS inspection, and TPS replacement if necessary, please request a difficulty in shifting diagnostic and the responding certified mechanic will get this resolved for you. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.