Q: I'm not sure if my problem is the thermostat. I had the coolant checked while having my oil changed and was told that it was full

asked by on July 23, 2017

The temperature gauge in my car is almost in the red hot zone when I drive a distance. I had the coolant checked when I had an oil change 2 weeks ago and was told that it was full. Nothing is leaking out under the car. One thing I did nothing is that when I run the AC it blows cool for a while then I starts to blow hot for a moment then returns to cool. The gauge has been moving slowly up towards the hot mark for a while and continues to move over time and I am afraid that it will get there soon. I am afraid to drive unless I am going short distances so it has time to cool down before returning home. Could I possibly be having trouble with the thermostat?

Hi there. It is possible that the thermostat is malfunctioning, however it’s also possible that you have an obstruction of coolant inside the cooling system. Another common source of the issues you’re experiencing is a radiator fan that is not activating as it should or a failure of the coolant temperature sensor. It would be a good idea to have a professional mechanic come to your location and complete a car is running hotter than normal inspection, so they can correctly diagnose the root source of this problem and recommend the right repairs.