Q: Noise at higher speeds, engine revs in park

asked by on July 27, 2016

My car has a mileage of around 170,00 miles. I had the it serviced six months ago. The belts were replaced along with the timing belt. I had the tires replaced as well. However, my car has been making a sound similar to that of a washing machine. It is noticeable when I drive around 75 mph. Also, when I put the car in park, engine revs to 1800 RPM with a vibration. What should I do?

Hello. The first step would be to have the new tires that you installed inspected for defects and to make sure that they were properly balanced. I would also have the wheel bearings checked as they could be causing the noise you are hearing. The engine revving to 1800 RPM while in park could be the result of the work that was performed on your timing belt. It is also possible that the throttle position sensor is faulty. If you are not comfortable returning to the shop that originally did the work, have a certified technician, like one from YourMechanic, come and inspect these components in order to pinpoint the problem.