Q: No shifting when placed in D drive. Partial functionality by manually shifting.

Vehicle sat for last 10 years. Bringing it back to life now. Engine runs perfectly after injection unit. In drive the vehicle takes off but will not shift. It appears to be in 2nd. Manually shift to 3 and no change when moving. Manually shifting to 2 the tranny shift into what appears to be 3rd smoothly. When manually shifting to 1, it truly appears to be a low 1st gear. Reverse work fine. No check engine lights. Is VSS the culprit here? And are there more than one as I see 2 types when looking. Thanks

A: If the vehicle has been sitting without mov...

If the vehicle has been sitting without moving for 10 years then just like the injection system the transmission valve body may not be working correctly. The manual selector valve in the transmission is what determines the final gear the transmission will shift to. If you can put the transmission in 1st gear, drive it and at about 20 mph shift it to 2nd gear, then move the shifter to drive at about 30 mph. If that works then it shows the transmission gears work but the automatic shift is the issue. The transmission could have a bad speed sensor, but the most likely cause is the governor for the transmission is stuck. Have a qualified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, thoroughly test the transmission to diagnose your shift issue.