Q: Brake pads, discs, and sensors replaced

asked by on May 31, 2016

My last car maintenance was a couple of months ago by the dealership. They reported that the front brake pads discs were 60-70% worn, the rear were worn to the metal, and pads were lipped. So I ‘agreed’ for them to replace all pads and discs. However, I did ‘not agree’ to their replacing the sensors, which they said after finishing the job, that was because the pads had worn unevenly. I really don’t understand. Can you please explain it all to me? Thank you.

Hello. Your vehicle has sensors that are installed into certain brake pads which alerts the driver when the brake pads are worn down to a certain point. These sensors need to be replaced whenever the brakes are done. They are not reusable as they typically get damaged when the brakes are worn down, or they bond to the brake pads from braking heat making them impossible to remove and reuse. It is possible that they did not think of mentioning them to you, but they had to install them. Without them it is not a complete brake job.