My 2010 Nissan Rogue horn doesn’t blow. Need to have a wo...

My 2010 Nissan Rogue horn doesn’t blow. Need to have a working horn to pass inspection in Texas. Took it the mechanic who replaced wiring but says the [steering wheel](/topics-steering-wheel-nissan/) sensor is shorted and replacem...

My 2010 Nissan Rogue horn doesn’t blow. Need to have a working horn to pass inspection in Texas. Took it the mechanic who replaced wiring but says the [steering wheel](/topics-steering-wheel-nissan/) sensor is shorted and replacement will cost $600! Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have the Nissan's service manual? Does the Nissan have airbags? Yes Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Rogue yourself? What have you tried so far? Want to try and fix myself coz I can’t afford $600 Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you? Just let them know that at first the Mech thought it was the wiring but After repairing the wiring to the Horn. The Horn does not work with the buttons on the Steering Wheel. The Horns do work now and make noise when we tell them to but the Steering Wheel Sensor inside the Steering wheel is shorted and is not allowing power to travel to the Horns.

Automotive Expert
Hello, My name is\*\*\*\*\*'ve been working on cars since 1990, I have been a Just Answer expert since 2008. Thank you for contacting us for assistance with your vehicle. I will be happy to assist you. You will see an option to receive a phone call prompted by the website, you can agree to or decline. If you do not wish to use the Phone Service, we can continue chatting this way back and forth until you are satisfied with my help. Just keep in mind, it does take me time to respond. I am a Automotive Technician, I am not a fast typer. So lets get started.... Can I ask to whom I have the pleasure of speaking with today?

Angie
Automotive Expert
Hello Angie, Nice to meet you! I am sorry to hear about your Horn not working. I will do my best to help you with this.

Great!
Automotive Expert
So if I understand your issue. If you turn the steering wheel to a particular position, the horn will sound. But other positions it will not? Is that correct?

That was the case before I took it in for repair but after they replaced the wiring the horn doesn't blow at allThey said the found the wiring was cut (how that happened, no clue) coz the only place I take it for service is the Nissan dealership
Automotive Expert
So you had the Clock Spring replaced. Who replaced this for you? Cause that is a Clock Spring issue if the horn only works in a certain steering position. Let me know who installed the clock spring for you? So the dealer did the clock spring?

They didn't tell me about a clock spring they just said wiring. Took it to a local Mech for the horn issue. Let me send you their text message to me
Automotive Expert
ok.. Send me the message so I can see what they said.

Customer attachment 8/8/2020 6:57:21 PM
Automotive Expert
I am assuming that he is talking about the Clock spring.
Automotive Expert
If it's what I am thinking. The part is 200 dollars. The Drivers Air Bag would need to be removed as well as the steering wheel and column cover to access it. Once replaced, you will need to program the steering angle sensor. Failure to do so, you will have a ABS light on. So I can see the parts and labor for this to be around 500 dollars.

Makes sense. So I need to take it to a mechanic then.What about an external horn that's legal?
Automotive Expert
You can actually take this to a Body shop to have that replaced since it's part of the Air Bag system. Body Shops can be cheaper than repair shops.

Sounds good!
Automotive Expert
If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask. I would like to make sure I have taken care of all your needs with this issue. If you do not have any more questions, and you're satisfied with my help, please take a min to Rate me by clicking the Stars on the top of the page. I hope I have provided you with 5 Star Excellent Service. Kind Regards, Jay!

You were great! Thanks Jay!
Automotive Expert
You are very welcome! Have a great day!

I don't see where to rate you
Automotive Expert
Top of the page by the stars. Thank you!

Never mind. I got a separate text for that. Gave you a 5!
Automotive Expert
Thank you for the Rating!