Q: New oil filter replaced 5 days after oil change

Why was the new oil filter the fix for a oil leek under my car? Can the oil filter be changed without draining the oil?

Hey there. Yes it can. The reason it could have been leaking is because maybe something hit the filter while driving or the rubber seal on it didn’t seal properly. You can change the filter without changing the oil but most times you won’t because you’re going to lose a lot of oil after you take it off. If you are still experiencing a leak after the filter replacement, a certified professional from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to pinpoint the leak and assist with repair.