Q: Need to start car after sitting for a few years

asked by on February 16, 2016

I haven't started the vehicle in a few years, It doesn't start. What do I need to do to get it started?

Hi there, the battery will be completely dead since the vehicle hasn’t been driven for so long. You could try charging the battery overnight or try jumpstarting the car. With any luck the battery will still be able to hold a charge, however batteries tend to die at around the 5 year mark so if it is around that time the battery may need replacing. Since the car has sat for so long, many of the fluids will need to be flushed and filled again, especially the oil. This includes the fuel as gasoline won’t burn as well if it has sat for a while. If the car still won’t start, you should have a certified technician inspect the engine further to locate the issue. All of the rubber hoses and fluid lines should be inspected as well to make sure everything is still intact. This includes brake lines, fuel lines, radiator hoses, and A/C lines if the car is equipped with A/C. Our 75 Point Safety inspection goes over everything I’ve mentioned plus much more so it is a very good way to get an overall understanding of the vehicle’s condition.