Q: Need advice on whether or not brake fluid should be replaced on my car

I have had several different mechanics tell me that I should have the brake fluid replaced. I always felt like this was a way for them to make more money after an oil change. I went to a dealership to deal with a check engine light, they also told me to change the brake fluid. I researched online and it said to change the fluid every two to three years. My brake fluid is a black color. However, the reason for having it replaced is because of ABS and preventing the oil from boiling after it combines with too much water. My car doesn't have ABS so I am wondering if this would apply to my car. There is nothing in the owner's manual about changing the brake fluid and the brakes are working fine. Should I replace the fluid, or leave it be?

The brake fluid in all cars should be changed to prevent the fluid from turning black and creating sludge buildup in the system. This will also keep the internal system from causing wear on the rubber seals and components. The system has a lot of aluminum in it and this causes the fluid to turn black over time. I recommend changing the fluid when you have the brakes changed, about every two years. A certified mobile mechanic from YourMechanic can provide this service at your home or office.

• Need advice on whether or not brake fluid should be replaced on my car