Q: 92 Ford Ranger idles high

My '92 Ford Ranger has been idling weird. I would shift gears and the RPM would not drop quickly enough. Sometimes it idles as high as 2500 RPM. It's happening when the engine is warm.

The first thing you’d want to do is try my video "finding engine vacuum leaks with a cigar." See if you can find a leak somewhere. It could be sucking air. If you can’t find one, you want to check out your throttle system. It could be that it either needs cleaning or replacing because it can also do this if the throttle sticks. I recommend having a technician diagnose your car’s high engine idle if you would like this taken care of.