Q: My vehicle won't start

asked by on October 18, 2016

There's alot of corrosion around the battery wires, the lights work but it won't turn over. Someone told me that it's the alternator. Could it be the corrosion that is preventing the car to start? I've done my research and i am pretty knowledgeable when it comes to cars because of my dad. But being as to I'm a female nobody will listen. I'd rather start small before jumping to the big repairs. It sounds like it wants to turn over but it don't. There is a clicking noise in the relay box when attempting to start it. What is the easiest way to get rid of corrosion? From what I know baking soda water and a wire brush? Please give me a little feedback. I also listened for the fuel pump and it does have the proper noise it should have when power is going to it (I checked that because of the clicking in the relay box)

Hello. I would recommend first disconnecting and cleaning the battery clamps and battery with baking soda and water. Once the terminals are clean then see if it will crank over. You may need to jump start the battery if it is low on charge. If it cranks over now then just test and replace the battery since it might not have enough voltage to crank over the engine. If the engine still will not crank over then it will need to have the starter checked for proper power from the ignition starter relay, but be sure to check the voltage at the small wire when turning the key to start. If you need any further assistance with with, a certified technician from YourMechanic would be of great service to you, as they can come to your home or place of business and definitively figure out why the car is not starting.