Q: My speed sensor went bad twice in 10 days

I replace it cause it wasn't shifting right and the speed gage wasn't work. It work for 5 day and went bad again

A: Hello. The problem you’re experiencing with...

Hello. The problem you’re experiencing with your speedometer may be related to the speed sensor cable that attaches from the sensor on the outside of the transmission to the actual speedometer on the car. About 80 percent of the time when I’ve done this job, the issue was not only the speed sensor, but the cable as well, which is why it’s typically recommended to replace the sensor and cable at the same time.

However, this doesn’t explain why the sensor failed five days later. The only explanation I can offer for that is one of two things. First, the area around the speed sensor was not cleaned completely, allowing dirt or debris to embed itself under the sensor during replacement, or it’s a malfunctioning part. I think the best thing you can do is remove the old part and replace the cable as well. You may want to contact an experienced mechanic in your area to inspect the shifting issue as well as any other problems with your speedometer so that a correct diagnosis is made before it is repaired. Maybe they’ll see something you overlooked or missed during the replacement of the speed sensor.