Something is grinding when I stop 2004 escape ford

Q: Something is grinding when I stop

asked by on May 13, 2017

My car makes a grinding sound when I stop, but only half the time. When I brake hard there's no problem, but when I ease up to a stop it grinds and it almost feels like my brakes slip, it's kind of a jerky movement. I took my tires off, my brakes lines and pads were just replaced. My brake lines are bled, and my rotors look fine

It is possible that your dust shield behind the rotor is coming in contact with the rotor sometimes. I would recommend to use a small screwdriver and try to pry the dust shield away from the rotor anywhere that it looks like it might be able to come in contact with it. Then, test drive the vehicle and see if the noise goes away. This process may need to be repeated two or three times before the issue is resolved. If the issue is not resolved within a couple of attempts, I would recommend having your brakes inspected by a qualified professional. Consider YourMechanic for your brake inspection as it can be done from your home or office.