Q: My new front brake pads and rotors are making noise

I replaced my car's front brake pads and rotors. I used organic break pads. When I went for a test drive, the brakes are making a rubbing or grinding sound when I stop. Is this normal, like the pads need to bed or should I take the brakes apart again? If I do have to take them apart again, what should I be looking for?

Hello. Organic brake pads have a reputation for being quiet most of the time. Most of the complaints come from squeaks when the pads are wet. You describe your symptoms as more of a grinding, metal on metal, type of noise. The brake pads may be installed improperly, or the rotors may be sitting incorrectly. The brake system is a very serious component and if there is reason to believe they are not working correctly, its a good idea to take a look. Due to getting new rotors, you will want to make sure the correct replacement rotors have been used. Check the wheels and brakes for excess brake dust. This will also make a squeak, but again, a grinding noise is typically metal on metal, or brake pad stuck. If nothing looks visibly wrong, you will want to try to replicate the symptoms while being able to watch. This can be done by raising the front of the vehicle and having a friend press the brakes and assist you. Further testing and inspection of the brake pads, rotors, and wheels must be done.

3. My new front brake pads and rotors are making noise