Q: How should my car be towed?

asked by on December 14, 2015

How should my car be towed?

There are many instances in which you might want to tow your car. You might want to tow it behind an RV for instance. While some vehicles can be towed in almost any way, yours is not among them. You need to avoid a few specific situations:

• Never tow your vehicle with all four wheels flat on the ground (called dinghy towing). This can seriously damage the transmission, as well as other drivetrain components.

• If your vehicle is two-wheel drive, never tow it with the front wheels on the pavement (always put the front wheels on a dolly when towing a two-wheel drive model).

• If your vehicle is four-wheel drive, never tow it with the front wheels raised on a dolly. It should be towed with the rear wheels on the dolly and the front wheels on the pavement.