Q: What is a throttle body filter

My "Check Engine Light" came on and the codes indicated were: P01101-air flow | P 0068 throttle body filter | P0171 fuel trim lean bank#1 | P0174 fuel trim lean bank#2. So I replaced the air and gas filters. The car runs good and eventually the check engine came back on. So what is a throttle body filter. Where is it located and If its changed will that resolve the problem.

A: I’m not sure why you are getting the defini...

I’m not sure why you are getting the definition of "throttle body filter" for the code P0068. The definition I come up with is throttle body air flow performance. In fact, all of your codes are having to do with this. I suspect you have a problem with the MAF (mass air flow) sensor as it is the heart of how the PCM (powertrain control module) measures the amount of air entering the motor. Either this, or there is actually a clog in the intake manifold. You have already replaced the air filter and that would be my first area to check followed by a thorough inspection of the intake manifold for vacuum leaks.

After that, I would be connecting a scanner and reading all the related data. Primarily I would be monitoring the data from the MAF as well as the fuel trims. The fuel trim code P0171 and P0174 actually have to do with what the O2 sensors are measuring. Because there are codes for both banks, I would suspect and intake manifold leak or a bad MAF sensor.

If you should need further assistance with this, I recommend a Check Engine Light inspection to address this issue.

Good luck!