Q: Window trim might be melting from sunlight

Whenever it gets too warm, especially in direct sunlight, the trim on the windows of my 2011 Toyota Sienna gets really soft and can be easily pulled away. My biggest concern is that water could start leaking through a spot where the seal has pulled away. What can I do to protect the trim? Is it better to just replace it?

A: Greetings and thank you for writing in with...

Greetings and thank you for writing in with this question! If this concern is related to the rear quarter glass, Toyota released a Technical Service Bulletin in May 2012 (TSB 0075-12) that addresses this issue. The TSB outlines the diagnostic and repair procedures for this concern. The specific coverage is based on the VIN, and it may or may not be covered under Toyota warranty. Contact your local Toyota dealer, explain the problem, mention the TSB number, and schedule an appointment for an inspection and/or repair. If the vehicle is covered under warranty and the trim needs to be replaced, it should be covered at no additional cost to you. If this is related to other rubber window trim, you may be able to repair it yourself. Most auto parts stores carry a 3M weatherstrip adhesive in liquid or spray form. Apply the adhesive to the trim piece and hold it in place for 60 seconds. This should secure the trim to the vehicle and help eliminate the problem.