Q: Camshaft gear issues.

so autozone sold me the wrong belt, which ended in my cam gear breaking off of the camshaft, so i bought an aftermarket gear for the same model in a later year it was the only one that i could find and i did my reserch, anyways it came in the mail today it went on great it was the perfect size same ammount of teeth runs in good sequence, i dont know of my old gear getting ripped off did something to the end of my cam shaft, or this new part which isnt exactly the same doesnt necessarily look the same but if it was the wrong size my car would sputter a few times and then be completely out of sequence the car runs fine except for what seems like the camshaft gear looks like its vibrating or making some kindof noise like its about to fly off the side of my motor

Hello. If the cam gear appears to be the same as your original, with the same amount of teeth and fitment then it is likely the correct gear. As you stated, if the gear was incorrect the engine could not be timed properly, and would likely not run. If the previous camshaft gear was broken off then it may very well be possible that the force that broke the gear also damaged the camshaft itself. If the mating surface of the camshaft, where it comes into contact with the gear, was damaged it may be reason why the camshaft is vibrating excessively. In most cases the cam gears should not vibrate excessively once they are secured. If any of them are, then they may not be secured properly, or there may be another issue. If it looks like the camshaft gear may come loose, I would recommend you stop driving the vehicle and have a professional technician, such as one from YourMechanic, come to your location to determine if the gear may need to be reinstalled or possibly replaced.