Q: my gas cap keeps coming loose causing car to shut off. This only happens when its out side

asked by on May 18, 2017

My gas cap continues to get loose but only on hot days. This makes the entire shut off. Once i tighten the cap the car turns back on just fine. Once I begin to drive, it jerks a bit but thats it. Can you help

Car is stalling Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

This one makes me very curious. The car should continue to run whether the gas cap is loose or not. In fact, the car should be able to run with no gas cap at all, but the check engine light would come on. So I think the problems might not be related. It could be that the time you take to get out of the car, tighten the gas cap, and get back in to re-start the car may be all it needs to function again. There are many things that will make a car stall, then re-start after sitting for a couple of minutes. Still, it’s an intriguing problem. So I recommend you contact Your Mechanic and have a technician come out to your home or office to check out your stalling issue and possibly replace your gas cap.