Q: My front wipers main transmission linkage/bush broke when something hit them down the bonnet

Hi there,

A piece of plywood slid off my roof, down my windscreen, and pushed my wiper blades down the bonnet slightly (luckily that was the only damage!). The wipers no longer work.

I have unbolted the wipers transmission and found that the linkage/bush connecting the transmission arm to the main arm that goes behind the firewall to the wipers has cracked. It won't hold the two pieces together now. I pushed it back together but when I flicked the wipers on to test it, it just clicked straight out.

A few questions: - Would you suggest buying a brand new linkage kit for the wipers (I could replace the other linkages while I'm at it) or should I go to a wreckers and buying secondhand?

• How do I get in to remove the whole wiper system from behind the firewall?

Thanks so much for your help in advance!

Josh

Hi Josh. First, it’s always best to replace the wiper motor, wiper arms and wiper blades in one rather easy swap, but if you plan on keeping the vehicle for a few more ears, i’d suggest buying new parts. To access the wiper motor, you might want to search online for a Land Cruiser repair and service manual, as this will give you step-by-step instructions for completing this service.

3. My front wipers main transmission linkage/bush broke when something hit them down the bonnet