Q: My car won't start after replacing flex pipe and Muffler

My car has been driving good for over a year. I have never had issues starting my car. In September 2016, I began driving my car for up to 60 miles/day, 5 days a week. My car has been OK, until I decided to replace the muffler after i noticed a leakage. At the mechanic shop, he discovered that the Flex pipe was leaking as well. I replaced both parts last Saturday. I drove the car on Sunday and on Monday morning it wouldn't start. I thought it was a battery issue, and used a friends battery but it didn't start. The car kicks well when I try to start it but it doesn't end up starting. I was wondering if this has anything to do with the parts I replaced. Thank you for your help.

Technically, there is no connection at all between what was done on the exhaust system and the subsequent no start problem. Of course, it’s always possible the Mechanic damaged something on the vehicle but such, if it occurred and if it was relevant, would surely be discoverable once your no start problem is diagnosed. The bottom line is what you have experienced is probably mere coincidence and also not as "improbable" a circumstance as it might appear, if you calculate out the probabilities.

Ironically, because your car won’t start at all, that is the easiest circumstance to diagnose (intermittent no starts are more difficult to trace) and thus your car will be repaired quickly. It could be as simple as a failed camshaft or crankshaft position sensor, dead fuel pump or dead coil. The clue(s) will probably lie in any Diagnostic Trouble Codes that the PCM has recorded but even if no codes were recorded, once the Mechanic checks for fuel and spark it will be apparent where to look. My suggestion is if you simply schedule a no-start diagnostic a certified Mechanic will come out, identify the problem, explain the repair strategy to you and get the repair implemented promptly so you can get your car running properly again. If any other questions or concerns arise, by all means contact YourMechanic.

3. My car won't start after replacing flex pipe and Muffler