Q: My car will not start

My car will not start. When you put the key in and turn the ignition, the dash lights, interior lights, headlights and noises will turn on. However, the radio and clock do not operate, and when you turn the ignition to start the engine, nothing happens. There are no clicks, no sounds, and no reaction at all. Is this the starter not functioning, or a fuse or wiring problem?

The radio and no start condition could be two separate issues, or they could both be linked to the totally integrated power module (TIPM). This module is essentially a smart fuse box that supplies power to many of the vehicle’s circuits, including the starter motor and radio. These units are known for being problematic.

However, the problem could also be sometimes more simple, such as a failed starter motor and a blown radio fuse. The only way to know for sure is to have a professional, such as one from YourMechanic, diagnose the no start condition firsthand.