Q: What should I know about starting the engine?

What should I know about starting the engine?

A: Starting your engine is not as simple as tu...

Starting your engine is not as simple as turning the key and cranking it. There are several things that you should do before hand to ensure safety for both you and your passengers, and those around you. Here’s what you need to know:

• Don’t start the engine in an enclosed space, like your garage. This can let toxic exhaust fumes into the car.

• Make sure you’ve buckled up and that your passengers are wearing their seat belts.

• Double check that all of your accessories are off, including the headlights.

• Make sure the car is in park (neutral for a stick shift).

• Make sure the parking brake is on.

• Press the brake pedal (for a stick shift, press both the brake and the clutch).

• Turn the key to on.

• Turn the key to start and release it as soon as the engine cranks.

• Release the parking brake.

• Put the car in drive (first gear for a stick shift).